Stefan Michalak Encounter

Stefan Michalak Encounter

Date: May 20, 1967

Location: Falcon Lake, Manitoba, Canada

During Victoria Day weekend, Canadian, Stefan Michalak of Winnipeg, a mechanic by trade, decided to do some prospecting in the Whiteshell Provincial Park. Michalak was an amateur geologist and had been prospecting in the area many times. Others had found several quartz veins near Falcon Lake that were associated with silver deposits, and Michalak had himself found a few promising sites. So, on May 19, 1967, he traveled from Winnipeg to Falcon Lake, where he spent the night in a motel on the Trans-Canada Highway.

Michalak left his motel at 5:30 a.m. and headed north into the wilds of the park. At about 9:00 a.m. he found a quartz vein near a small stream. At 11:00 a.m. he ate lunch, then continued to examine the quartz formation. At 12:15 p.m. Hiss concentration was disturbed by the cackling of some geese. He looked up and was surprised to see two red, glowing cigar shaped objects descending at a 45° angle. As they came nearer, their appearance became more oval and then disk shaped.

As he watched, one of the objects stopped and hovered, while the other one descended and landed on a large, flat rock about 160' away from him. After a few moments the object still in the air departed, changing from red to orange to grey as it flew into the west and disappeared behind the clouds. The object on the ground also turned from red to grey and finally to the color of hot stainless steel surrounded by a golden hued glow. He had been wearing welding goggles while chipping at the quartz to protect his eyes from flying rock fragments, and now they served the additional purpose of protecting his eyes from a brilliant purple light that was shining through openings in the object´s exterior. The object was making a hissing sound and a whirring noise, and it gave off a sulfurous smell.

For several minutes, Michalak stayed where he was and sketched the object. After about half an hour, a door opened in the side of the object, revealing a lighted interior. Michalak decided to move closer, and when he was approximately 60' away from the object, he began to hear two voices over the other sounds coming from the object.

Believing that the object was a secret experimental American craft of some sort, Michalak called out in English. There was no response, so he tried Russian, German, Italian, French, Ukrainian, and then English again. There was still no response.

Summoning his nerve, He approached the open door and stuck his head inside. There he saw a maze of lights on what appeared to be a panel, and beams of light in horizontal and diagonal patterns. There was also a cluster of lights flashing in a random sequence like on a computer. Not seeing anyone, he pulled back and waited. Suddenly, 3 panels slid together, closing the opening completely. Michalak then examined the outer surface of the object, noting that it was like highly polished colored glass with no breaks or seams in its surface. He touched it, and it melted his glove.

Without warning, the object moved, and something like an exhaust vent was now in front of him. It was about 9" high by 6" wide, and contained a uniform pattern of round holes, each about 1/16 inch in diameter. A blast of hot gas shot from these holes onto his chest, setting his shirt and undershirt on fire and causing him severe pain. He tore off his burning garments and threw them to the ground. He looked up in time to see the craft depart like the first, and felt a rush of air as it ascended.

Once the object was gone, Michalak noticed a strong odor of burning electrical insulation along with the sulfurous smell he had noticed earlier. Some moss on the ground had been set on fire by his burning shirts, and so he stamped it out. The spot where the object had landed looked as if it had been swept clean, but piled up in a 15' circle was a collection of pine needles, dirt and leaves. As he looked around, he developed a severe headache, became nauseous, and broke out in a cold sweat. His nausea became worse, and he soon vomited. He decided to head back to the motel, and on the way back he had to stop several times because of vomiting.

Finally, after asking for help from a passing RCMP officer and being refused, he reached the motel. At 4:00 p.m., he entered the coffee shop and asked where he could find a doctor. He was told that the nearest doctor was in Kenora, Ontario, 45 miles east of Falcon Lake. Michalak decided to return to Winnipeg rather than go into Ontario.

The next bus to Winnipeg didn't come through until around 8:45 p.m., so he went to his room and called his wife. He told her not to worry, but that he had had an accident and to send their son to meet him at the bus terminal. He got to Winnipeg at around 10:15 p.m., and his son immediately took him to the Misericordia Hospital, where his headache and nausea were treated and the curious burn marks on his chest in the shape of a grid were noted.

One of the RCMP investigators tried to make the case that Michalak had burned his chest on a barbecue grill. However, the burn pattern was opposite to what it would have been had that been the case. There was a manned fire tower nearby, but the lookouts reportedly saw nothing that day.

Six weeks after the encounter, Stefan and a friend went looking for the site. After several hours they found a burned out circle the same size as the craft Stefan had seen. It was more then 30' across. Within days, a team of experts from the United States, working with the Royal Canadian Air Force, converged on the site. They took measurements, cataloged soil samples, and checked for radiation.

The levels appeared quite high, and the Health Department considered quarantining the area. Later, however, they discovered that the high levels were caused by an unrelated vein of radium which ran under the entire region.

Meanwhile, Stefan’s burns, which had appeared to be healing, suddenly flared up again. According to Stefan, his doctors remained mystified. After every three months, my burns from legs and here were coming back, showing up again and burning.

Nearly 30 years after his encounter, Stefan died with the burn marks still emblazoned on his torso. For the remainder of his life, Stefan Michalak never lost faith that on May 20, 1967, he had a remarkable encounter with something not of this Earth.

Over the course of the next two years, Michalak was examined by more than one dozen physicians in the United States and Canada. Site investigations were made by members of the RCMP, RCAF, government officials and numerous civilians. Among those who traveled back to the site with Michalak were representatives of: the RCAF, Royal Canadian Air Force, Training Command Headquarters, CFB, Canadian Forces Base, Winnipeg, RCMP CID, Criminal Investigations Division, the federal Department of Health and Welfare, and the Manitoba Provincial Department of Health and Welfare. Also, the University of Colorado Condon Committee investigated the case, Life magazine reporters came to Manitoba and two civilian UFO groups, APRO, Aerial Phenomena Research Organization, and CAPRO, Canadian APRO, became involved. Finally, the federal Department of Mines and Natural Resources got involved to a degree, as did the Whiteshell Nuclear Research Establishment, WNRE, the Manitoba Cancer Institute, the Mayo Clinic, and a host of other medical establishments.

| Home | About Us | Directory of Directories | Recent Additions | Top 10 Pages | Stories | Links |