South African Police Fire At UFO

South African Police Fire At UFO

Date: June 26, 1972

Location: Braeside Fort Beaufort, Eastern Cape, South Africa

In 1972, I was a sergeant in the South African Police, with eight years of service, in the small South African town, Fort Beaufort. The morning of June 26, I received a report of an object which appeared on the farm Breaside, which belonged to a Mr. Bennie Smit. At that stage I did not know Mr. Smit well. I persuaded the Station Commander, Warrant Officer Philip Van Rensburg to accompany me to the scene. On the farm we met Mr. Smit and some of his workers including a worker by the name of Boer de Klerk. Boer told us that during the morning when he was in the veld, an open field, at the reservoir when he witnessed a round ball of fire which changed in colors, hovering about 65' above the ground and which were slowly moving in the direction of the hill, which separates the farm from the Fort Fordyce bush.

Upon our arrival we did not witness any suspicious objects. We did the initial investigation and were skeptical. At that stage we were 7 people. 4 laborers, 2 policemen & Mr. Smit. Whilst we were standing looking at the hill which were 500' from us, I saw an object which emerged from the thick bush and vegetation at the foot of the hill and hovered just above the vegetation. It moved slowly to our right and again disappeared behind the thick bush. It did this movement a couple of times and I had the feeling that we were being watched. Mr. Smit had a .303 rifle with him and I decided to take a shot at it. The object was oval shaped and it was difficult to estimate the size of it. might have been just over a 3' in diameter.

It had a shiny dark metal grey colour. I fired three shots at it, hitting with each shot. Mr. Smit also fired at the object. During firing at it, I saw a sharp bright light, flickering on the right of the craft, just above it. During the shots it also disappeared and emerged again from behind the trees. It was in broad daylight after 10:00 a.m. and the weather was clear. Mr. Smit and some of the workers went into the bush with a handkerchief, tied to a stick enabling us to direct him. We noticed that the object moved away as if it were reacting to our voices giving direction to the searchers. I heard further shots coming from close to where we last saw the object disappear and Mr. Smit enquiring if we could see it. We kept observation but did not see its departure. According to Smit who claimed that they came close to it.

The object turned upright and became a greyish white in color before it veered of making a whirring sound. It just disappeared. The following day we combed the area with other officers and found nine evenly spread circular imprints about 4" in diameter in the soil directly from where we saw it disappearing behind the bushes. The imprints were in hard clay soil easily 1" deep. As if the legs were spiraled in the ground. Samples were taken and sent to the Council for Scientific & Industrial research Laboratories. Apparently it never reached them.

| Home | About Us | Directory of Directories | Recent Additions | Top 10 Pages | Stories | Links |